When choosing an automated external defibrillator, or AED, for your facility, home, or service, it is important to research all options available to find the perfect fit. In the event of Sudden Cardiac Arrest, you want to know that an AED is easily accessible, ready to rescue, and utilizes the most up-to-date technology in the industry. Physio-Control is a leader in the AED industry, and offers a full line of basic life support (BLS) and advanced life support (ALS) AEDs and defibrillators, popular with both laypersons and professionals.
Physio-Control developed products with leads and cable connectors that are compatible and interchangeable with one another. Set-up and transfer time of patients during a rescue is greatly reduced for this reason. Therefore, many people are advised by their local EMS, Fire Department, or hospital to purchase a Physio-Control product. At AED.us, we hear from quite a few customers that want to know the difference between the LIFEPAK CR Plus and the LIFEPAK Express, so here is a quick look at how these are alike and how they differ.
- Technology: Most importantly, the inner workings of both the CR Plus and Express are the exact same. They will both deliver the same level of joules (J) to a patient if a shock is advised. Both AEDs will start out delivering a shock of 200J, which has proved to defibrillate a patient’s heart back into a normal rhythm. Both AEDs can escalate the joules delivered, with each additional shock, up to the industry-leading 360J.
- Semi-Auto Vs. Fully-Auto: The LIFEPAK Express is only available in the Semi-Auto option, whereas the CR Plus is available as Semi- OR Fully-Auto. Physio-Control developed the LIFEPAK Express for professional responders that have more experience working with these devices. All Semi-Auto AEDs will have a shock button that will need to be pushed if the device analyzes a shockable heart rhythm. Fully-Auto AEDs will deliver the shock for you, if it is advised. This is a great option for laypersons that would most likely be intimidated and apprehensive about pushing the button themselves.
- Warranty: The LIFEPAK CR Plus carries a longer manufacture warranty. Physio-Control’s offers an 8-year warranty on the CR Plus, and a 5-year warranty on the Express. The CR Plus comes with a higher price tag partly because of this.
- Carry- Case: The LIFEPAK CR Plus package includes their soft carry case, while the LIFEPAK Express package does not include a carry case. This is an add-on accessory available for $75. While some people may like the lower price point of the Express model, we always suggest storing your AED in a case along with extra pads and rescue kit. We would highly recommend purchasing the Express carry case for $75, if at all possible.
- Electrodes/Pads: The LIFEPAK CR Plus will include 1 Charge-Pak with 2 sets of adult electrodes, whereas the Express will come with 1 Charge-Pak with 1 set of adult electrodes. Both the Charge-pak and the electrodes will have a 2-year life-span, which makes maintaining both models very easy. We do, however, recommend having an extra set of electrodes on hand if you are locating your AED in a busier, more populated facility or area.
The LIFEPAK CR Plus and the Express are excellent options for most AED programs. They are very similar products with a few differing variables that should work well for both laypersons and professionals, depending on their specific needs.
Please visit us at AED.US and give us a call at 1-800-695-1209 if you would like to discuss the best options for you and your program.
Written by Blaire Czarniecki
Customer Service Director
Fact checked by Phillip Woods, BA, NREMT-P, FP-C
Blaire attended the University of Tennessee where she graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Human Ecology- Child and Family Studies. She has been in the Automated External Defibrillator (AED) industry for over eight years and is the Director of Customer Service for Coro Medical. Blaire is also an American Red Cross-certified CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor, highly trained by each manufacturer on their specific AEDs, and knowledgeable regarding ALL State AED regulations and legislation.
“I know that every day I come to work, I am playing a part in saving someone’s life. I am passionate about these devices and am always looking for new and innovative ways to spread awareness and knowledge about Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA). I look forward to the day when everywhere I go, I will see an AED—when SCA will no longer take any lives.”
Last updated January 8, 2019